National Diploma in Business Level 5
Aim of the Course
The aims of the course leading to the National Diploma in Business (Level 5) are to:
- Enable students to acquire advanced knowledge and skills in a range of essential business and business management activities, including some specialisation in Accounting and Financial Management, Marketing and Generic Business Management
- Provide a solid foundation in business education and associated practices
- Develop versatile and adaptable graduates equipped either to commence a business career or to apply for advanced study leading to a higher diploma or degree qualification
The National Diploma in Business (Level 5) recognises a wide range of business-related competencies. People who have achieved this qualification have demonstrated the skills, knowledge, and competence to undertake a range of business activities and specific roles at a high level. These graduates are versatile, adaptable and well equipped to commence a business career or apply for further study to a higher diploma or degree qualification.
The following themes are covered in this course:
- Marketing (International)
- Business Communications
- Human Resource Management
Graduates of the National Diploma in Business (Level 5) will possess a broad range of business skills, including middle management skills, and will be able to operate collaboratively or autonomously in a number of business capacities, especially in a small business environment. Graduates will also be positioned to apply for advanced study at higher diploma and degree levels.
There are eight major modules each represented by a business theme. Students must successfully complete all eight modules to gain the qualification. The course requires one year of full-time study. There are five terms per year. Students may start the course at the beginning of any of these terms and at the middle point of the longer terms.
Applicants must have:
- 48 NCEA credits at Level 2 (including a minimum of 12 in each of three subjects and including four credits in reading and four in writing)
- or Sixth Form Certificate with a grade aggregate of 20 or less in the four best subjects (one of which must be Grade 5 English or better)
- or a Year 12 or Year 13 international qualification equivalent to or higher than one of the above
International students for whom English is not their first language must have either:
- a minimum IELTS (Academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0
- ora minimum Tasman English Proficiency Test score of 5.5 with no band lower than 5.0