International students under the age of 18
The NZQA Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (the 'Code') clearly details the rules and responsibilities around looking after students under 18 years old.
Under the Code of Practice Tasman are permitted to enrol students 14 - 17 years old on English language courses only. The under-18 student must either live with their parents, or have a caregiver designated by their parents, or live with a homestay family.
Tasman has an Under-18 Student Support Officer who is concerned with the students' study, attendance and accommodation as well as being the main contact for parents, designated caregivers and homestay families. The Under-18 Student Support Officer will interview the student within the first two weeks of their study and then every three months about their accommodation, studies, attendance, health and lifestyle.
Download the Code of practice:
Code of Practice
Tasman requires the following information for under-18 students:
- student address, phone number and email
- emergency contact details of parents, designated caregiver or homestay family in New Zealand
- parents contact details in the home country.
English language classes are run from 9.00 - 1.30 Monday to Friday.
The student's parents receive a six-weekly progress report detailing academic achievement, attendance rate and comments from the teacher.
Tasman prefer that the student's parents have an email address to which the academic progress report can be sent.
- Attendance is checked daily by the teacher and Under-18 Student Support Officer
- Non-attendance is followed up immediately with the person with whom the student is residing
- Students are expected to attend 100%
Under-18's must live in one of the following five categories of accommodation:
- Boarding establishment
- Designated caregivers home
- With parents
- In the case of international students on courses of less than three calendar months' duration only, in temporary accommodation
Tasman's Under-18 Student Support Officer will check the accommodation arrangements of any under-18 student not living with their parents:
- with-in the first two weeks after student arrival and
- every three months thereafter
Tasman highly recommend that under-18's, whose parents are not living in New Zealand, are designated a caregiver by their parents. Tasman will require a Ministry of Justice police vetting letter from the designated caregiver.
International students under-18 years old must comply with all other rules, policies and procedures set by Tasman.